Representative Payee Status

Appointing a Representative
When a person who receives Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, or Veteran Affairs (VA) benefits becomes incapable of managing those benefits, the Social Security Administration or VA can appoint a representative payee for such benefits without the necessity of guardianship.

Care Facility Residents
If the person is a resident of a nursing or personal care home, the benefits may be made payable directly to the care facility.

Medicare & Medicaid

If the resident qualifies for Medicare or Medicaid, an assignment of benefits may satisfy any balance of monthly care charges in excess of Social Security or VA benefits.