The National Weather Service (NWS) held a Special Weather Briefing this afternoon for the potential for severe weather for our area this afternoon through Friday morning.
- Thursday afternoon and overnight Thursday night.
- East Alabama – A Tornado Watch has been issued for portions of Alabama just east of Birmingham. This watch does not currently include Cleburne or Randolph counties but the watch is expected to extend east later tonight and Friday morning
- East Alabama is under a Slight Risk (Level 2 out of 5) for severe weather this afternoon and tonight. Possible severe impacts:
- Damaging wind gusts up to 60 mph
- Quarter Size Hail
- Possible Tornadoes
- Heavy Rain
- Projected time frame for the higher severe risk is from now until Midnight tonight.
- West Georgia is under an Enhanced Risk (Level 3 out of 5) and a Slight Risk (Level 2 out of 5) for severe weather Wednesday evening. Possible severe impacts:
- Damaging winds > 60 mph
- Heavy Rain
- Hail > 2 inches
- Projected time frame for the higher severe risk for West Georgia is from now until 4:00 am Friday morning.
Please do not get locked into time frames or risk levels but please monitor this weather situation over the next 16 hours and make sure you have multiple devices to receive weather alerts that will wake you up at night.